I’ve not been as diligent on Partners as I wanted to be.
So, as I’ve mentioned back in Painuary and Februargh, I had a slip and fall that took its toll on my right hand and wrist. In March, I started getting better, though I do heal slower due to my health not being the best. The downside of being diabetic is that your healing ability can slow, especially so if your blood glucose levels remain elevated. It’s something I’ve been working on, and that’s improving, with me taking new doses of the medicine.
I have other things that’re happening with my body at the same time, where since I’ve been dissuaded from non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, my joints end up hurting on a fairly consistent basis. It’s a bit disheartening, because it means that sometimes, I hurt too much to even move and be active. This leads toward making me sedentary, which causes me to backslide, so to speak, on the rest of my health.
To that end, I’m setting various goals for myself. First goal, ostensibly, is to lose 20 pounds. This will get me back down to where I was when I lost all of that weight a few years prior. I know I can hit that target. I just have to get back on the rocket and keep going.
Next, I need to put myself on an editing schedule. Work one issue per day, two to three times per week. Nori’s issues are somewhat on the long side, which doesn’t surprise me: Partners, at a glance, is 141,913 words. That’s a lot of text to edit. I’ve felt as if I lost sight of what I wanted to do, and honestly, Present Me is looking back at Past Me and saying, “You git. You could have done more of this. Fine, I’ll carry you.”
I would consider streaming it, but we’re still dealing with internet problems around the house.
In addition, the keyboard I purchased for my tablet, so I can get out of the house to do things ended up being a dud. I’m still trying to hash out the terms of a refund with the seller, but that’s taking some time.
Also, speaking of keyboards, I normally use an ergonomic keyboard as my home solution, but managed to have a bottle of root beer erupt close enough that it screwed my old keyboard. This left me without a good input device for my desktop for a couple of days, while I waited for my new piece of hardware.
As you can see, I have entered the world of the fancy, having picked up my first mechanical keyboard, a MechanicalEagle Z-77. I know that when I was pretty young, most keyboards were some kind of mechanical keyboard, before the move to the less expensive to produce membrane boards.
With Cherry no longer having the protections of a patent on switches, this allows companies like Kailh, Gateron, and Gaote (Outemu) to jump in and manufacture compatible clones. This makes mechanical keyboards more accessible to the mainstream market by driving prices to a more affordable range.
I’m adapting to the new keyboard and layout as the week elapses, since the keyboard lacks the gap in the middle I’m used to. But it does make things feel quite different. I actually feel a bit more sure about the keys I’m tapping at, and not questioning my input quite as much. I’ve got a batch of o-rings that’ll be coming in the mail to help with the noise, but I’m also learning not to drive the keys all the way to the bottom, instead just waiting until I feel the click of the switch. My typing’s only slowed by a tiny bit as I get used to the blue switches, and it does help with the overall noise when trying to type at the bottom of the evening.
I did finish about an issue and a half while writing this blog post, as well, so hopefully, I’ll get back to work on Partners on Saturday, and maybe cut another test copy through my toolchain. 🙂
One last thing:
I’m also starting to use a microblogging service called Mastodon. You can currently find me on the Ninetailed.UK instance as @Xial. 🙂